- Complete the sentences. Use a word from the same word family as the word in brackets.
- When I was little, I used to talk to an __imaginary__ friend every night before falling asleep. (imagine)
- My sister has long __________________ with her boyfriend over the phone. Mum is furious, because the phone bill is huge. (converse)
- “He’s gorgeous!” she gasped __________________. (dream)
- He was very frightened and it took a while for his __________________ to become normal again. (breathe)
- The police have found a __________________ man in an abandoned house. (death)
- The excursion was __________________ organised; no one knew which bus to get on or who to turn to for information. (bad)
- My granddad had a special __________________ in front of his house where he used to sit and watch the birds. (sit)
- Do you know about any __________________ houses in Slovenia? (haunt)
- I was very __________________ when I got home so I made myself a pizza. (hunger)
- I don’t know many people who __________________ in ghosts. (belief)
- Match the idioms (1–8) with their definitions (a–h).
|1 to sleep on it2 to sleep like a log3 a pipe dream
4 a dream come true
5 to be afraid of one’s own shadow
6 to be a bundle of nerves
7 to make your blood run cold
8 to have the jitters
|a a wish that is unlikely to come trueb to postpone a decisionc a realised dream or wish
d to scare you a lot
e to be very nervous, tense
f to be nervous, usually before an important event
g to sleep very well
h to be easily frightened or afraid of nearly everything
1 b, 2______, 3______, 4______, 5______, 6______, 7______, 8______
- Accidents and injuries. Read about Toby’s accidents (1–10) and match them with the consequences (a–j).
- He was running down the school hallway to be the first in the cafeteria. He completely forgot there was a glass door at the end of the hall and he crashed into it.
- He was going past a classroom, when somebody opened the door and hit him in the head.
- He tripped over a classmate’s bag in the classroom and fell.
- He fell off his bike on a country road. He wasn’t wearing knee pads.
- He went jogging at 11 am on a very hot day. When he came home he felt extremely unwell.
- He jumped over a fence in the garden and landed very awkwardly.
- On a school trip, the coach drove very fast on a winding road.
- When he was skiing very fast down the slope, he crashed into another skier.
- When he was eating ice cream on the balcony, he was stung by a wasp.
- When they went hiking with his class, he wore a new pair of trainers which didn’t fit.
- He felt very sick and threw up.
- He had a giant bump on his forehead.
- He had several blisters on his heels and toes.
- He had deep cuts on his arms and needed several stitches.
- Fortunately he didn’t break any bones, but he suffered a mild concussion.
- His wrists and elbows hurt a lot. Luckily he didn’t bang his head against the radiator.
- His arm started to swell immediately and he had to see a doctor and get an injection.
- He badly grazed his knees.
- He twisted his left ankle.
- He suffered from sunstroke.
1 d 2______ 3______ 4______ 5______
6______ 7______ 8______ 9______ 10______