- Fill in the gaps with the phrases from the box. champions Championship competition match medallist Olympic gold medal place record holder runner up world record
Rajmond Debevec won the first Olympic gold medal for Slovenia in shooting at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
- In 2008, Spain won the European Football __________________. Two years later, they also won the World Cup and became world __________________.
- At the 2010 World Cup in South Africa Slovenia lost the __________________against the USA by one goal.
- More than a thousand athletes participated at the regional athletic __________________ this year.
- The difference between the winner and the __________________was only 0.1 second.
- The current __________________in ski flying is 246.5 metres. It was set by Norwegian Johan Remer Evensen at Vikersund in 2011.
- Robert Kranjec, Slovenia’s national __________________, is one of the best ski flying athletes in the world. He won the 2012 World Cup and became Slovenia’s first world champion in ski flying.
- Anže Lanišek, another talented Slovenian ski jumper participated in the Youth Olympic Games when he was only 15. He took the first __________________and became Olympic Champion.
- Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt, a five-time World Champion and four-time Olympic gold __________________ holds the world record in 100 metres with a time of 9.58 seconds.
- Underline the correct phrase.
- Young children learn to swim with the help of mittens / arm-bands / goggles.
- For professional footballers good football boots / stilettos / sandals are an essential part of their equipment.
- When it’s foggy, it’s difficult to ski without sunglasses / ski goggles / ski suit.
- Tennis players use a bat / club / racket to hit the ball.
- If you want to play golf, you need a golf trolley for your golf sticks / golf clubs / golf bats.
- In ice hockey, athletes hit the ball / shuttlecock / puck into the opponent’s goal with a stick.
- Only the best archers can shoot an arrow / bow / stick into the centre of the target easily.
- In volleyball, if you touch the net / ball / court during play, the other team gets the serve and the point.
- All racing drivers have to wear crash helmets / glasses / headphones.
- If you want to swim very fast, put on a pair of flip flops / trainers / flippers.