- Her grandmother ____________________________ speak both English and Spanish.
- Yesterday, Peter ________________ do that exercise alone. So, he called me for help.
- In 1950, people _____________________________ use mobile phones.
- When his mother was young, she ________________ skate but she can’t do it any longer.
- We _____________________________ open the door: it was locked from the inside!
- In 1900, people ____________________________ watch TV.
- Mary’s grandfather ____________________________ play chess and he was the best!
- In 1945, people _____________________________ play video games.
- But they _____________________________ play chess!
- Peter __________________________ play tennis last Monday: he had broken his arm!
- When Ann was a teenager, she _____________ watch a horror film: it was too frightening for her!
- Last Sunday, we __________________ take any photos in the museum: it was forbidden.
- Mozart _____________________________ play the piano when he was 5.
- When I was young, I ______________________ play the guitar: it was too difficult for me!
CAN, CAN’T, COULD, COULDN’T
- When Tom was 16, he was a fast runner. He ______ run 200 metres in 22 seconds. a) can b) could c) can’t d) couldn’t
- I’m afraid I ______ come to your party next Saturday. a) can b) could c) can’t d) couldn’t
- I’m not in a hurry. I’ve got plenty of time. I _______ wait. a) can b) could c) can’t d) couldn’t
- I was feeling terribly sick yesterday. I ________ eat anything. a) can b) could c) can’t d) couldn’t
- Can you speak loudly, please? I _______ hear you very well. a) can b) could c) can’t d) couldn’t
- “You look exhausted.” “Yes, I _________ sleep last night. a) can b) could c) can’t d) couldn’t