- Complete the sentences. Use a word from the same word family as the word in brackets.
- Mass __emigration__ (emigrate) from European countries to the USA was caused by war and poverty.
- Lanzarote, one of the Canary Islands, is a paradise for _________________ (surf); the water is warm and the waves are guaranteed to be good.
- Guide: “Please, don’t forget to take all your personal _________________ (possess) when you leave the coach.”
- The owners of the castle had to sell their most _________________ (value) paintings and furniture about a hundred years ago to keep their land and the castle.
- Emily is in seventh heaven. She’s telling everyone about her _________________ (engage) to her college sweetheart.
- Craig’s family moves all the time. He has to try hard to adapt to new countries but he’s still always a _________________ (foreign).
- If you lack _________________ (confident), you won’t be very successful in this job.
- Ruby works for a well-known fashion house. She’s showed me previews of their spring _________________ (collect) and I think it’s fabulous.
- London has more than 7 million _________________ (inhabit).
- Illegal _________________ (immigrate) is a serious problem for many countries.
- Types of books. Translate the words for different types of books into Slovenian.
Write 1–2 sentences about each type of book. Use the prompts below.
- My favourite … is …
- My favourite … was …
- I never/rarely read …
- I used to read … but …
- I can’t stand …
- I love/enjoy reading
|1 picture book||slikanica|
|2 short story|
|3 fairy tale|
|4 ghost story|
|6 detective story|
|7 science fiction|
- Types of films. Write a film title next to each type of film and add a short description of the film (2–3 sentences).
|animated film||Shrek; Shrek is an ogre who loves living alone in his swamp. When his peace is disturbed by several fairy tale creatures he decides to reclaim his territory from Lord Farquaad. The film is about his adventures and his love for the princess Fiona.|
- Types of TV programmes. How often do you watch TV? Which TV programmes are your favourite? Write 1–2 sentences next to each type of TV programme.
- I often/rarely/never … watch …
- My favourite … is … It’s on at … on …
- I love/like/hate watching …
|documentary||I often watch documentaries on National Geographic Channel but also on other channels. My favourite ones are about nature, especially plants. I also love watching some documentaries about animals like Animal Superpowers, for example.|