Complete the sentences. Use a word from the same word family as the word in brackets.
- The best detective novels always feature headstrong and gifted private investigators (investigate).
- According to a well-known proverb, _____________ (honest) is the best policy.
- He always twists the truth to suit his own needs. He’s such a skilled _____________ (lie).
- Your sister is very popular. Do you know that she’s got two secret _____________ (admire) in our class?
- It’s no use lying. Just tell the _____________ (true)! It’ll come out sooner or later.
- Emma has been at our school for a year now but even her best friends don’t know very much about her private life. She’s very _____________ (secret).
- Have you seen the ‘For _____________ (sell)’ sign on the Mayer’s house? It seems they’re moving but they haven’t said anything about it!
- For _____________ (safe) reasons hard hats must be worn at all times in this part of the factory.
- Unfortunately, many acts of _____________ (hero) from different wars, like those of the code talkers, have been forgotten.
- Our school counsellors organize a series of workshops every autumn to prevent _____________ (violent) among students.
- Certain verbs and nouns go together to make a short phrase. Put the expressions from the box into the correct column. Some expressions go in more than one column.
a bath the bed a cake dark an email friends good marks home homework money a nice time notes a party a photo a rest a seat someone a favour the shopping time off the washing-up
|a bath||a bath|
- Complete the sentences with expressions from Exercise 2.
- I love window shopping with my friends but I’m not so keen on helping my parents to do the shopping on Friday afternoons.
- I share my room with my older sister. She gets mad if I don’t __________________ as soon as I get up.
- Could you __________________ and call my best friend? It’s urgent and my mobile has just died.
- Our family is taking a mini-break at the seaside next week. We’re all very tired and we need to __________________.
- The most depressing thing about winter is that it __________________ early in the afternoon. When it’s cloudy, it seems like there’s no daylight all day long.
- Evie is such a lovely person, so open and easy-going. She’s very popular and she __________________ easily.
- If you listen in class, participate in different activities and study hard, you’ll easily __________________.
- When Chloe __________________ from school, she has to do some household chores and walk the dog.
- It’s my birthday in three weeks’ time! I’m __________________ at my house. I’m going to invite lots of friends.
- Students are expected to __________________ during lectures.
- Match the words 1–12 with the explanations a–l.
|1 chain store
5 store detective
9 flea market
11 craft fair
12 charity shop
|a a person who buys things or services
b a large basket on wheels that you can push or pull used for carrying things
c a person who receives and pays out money in a shop
d a person responsible for a large shop
e a shop that sells things given by people to make money for a special cause or organization
f a special table from which things are sold at markets
g one of a group of shops owned by the same company
h a market where you can buy old and used things cheaply
i a person employed in a shop to make sure customers don’t steal anything
j a container with handles for carrying things
k the owner or manager of a small shop
l an event where people sell objects they made themselves