Read the text and complete the exercises.
Natural catastrophes have always played a part in our planet’s history. Here is just a small reminder that Mother Nature can do more harm to the human race in a second than men can do to themselves in more than a century of industrial pollution. Read on to learn about one such catastrophe from the past and a few possible ones in the future.
The Year without a Summer
1816 was the “year without a summer”. The reason was the eruption of Mount Tambora in Indonesia. The volcano exploded and caused the coldest year of the 19th century. Dust and ash clouds hid the sun, and global temperatures dropped for three years. In the Far East 92,000 people died, mainly from hunger. Europe suffered more than the USA, possibly because of the size of population rather than the weather conditions.
Expert Bill McGuire has studied natural catastrophes and he is sure there will be more disasters in the future. Here are a few possibilities.
- Scientists believe that the ground beneath Yellowstone National Park could erupt. It would be like the explosion of Lake Toba 75,000 years ago, which caused a volcanic winter that lasted 6–10 years.
– The western coast of La Palma, one of the Canary Islands, could fall into the sea. If this happens, the cities on the eastern coast of the USA will be hit by tsunamis 50 metres high.
– By the end of the century the Earth may be hotter than at any time in the past 150,000 years. No one knows what the result of such global warming would be.
– Just 600 human generations have passed since the end of the last ice age, but the planet could return to another one. Bill McGuire believes that, ironically, rapid global cooling could be caused by global warming.
- Decide whether the statements are true (T) or false (F).
|1 Natural disasters are something new.|
|2 Mother Nature is more powerful than people.|
|3 1816 was the coldest year of the 19th century.|
|4 It was colder than usual between 1816 and 1818.|
|5 Bill McGuire is optimistic.|
|6 An eruption in Yellowstone National Park could cause a volcanic winter.|
|7 It is possible that the USA is hit by 50-metre-high tsunamis.|
|8 Global warming can’t cause another ice age.|
- Match the words from the text with their Slovenian translations.
|1 pollution2 eruption
3 to cause
6 weather conditions
8 global warming
9 ice age
|a lakotab globalno segrevanje
g ledena doba
i vremenski pogoji