- Circle a, b or c to complete the sentences.
- Eva _______ two litres of water every day.
a drink b drinks c is drinking
- My dad _______ dinner at the moment.
a make b makes c is making
- Every year Kim _______ on a skiing holiday to the Dolomites.
a go b goes c is going
- Be quiet! I _______ to watch TV.
a try b ’m trying c trying
- Listen! Mary and Lucy _______ the piano.
a play b is playing c are playing
- I often _______ fish.
a eat b eats c am eating
- Derek _______ at 6 o’clock every morning.
a get up b gets up c is getting up
- My parents _______ now.
a rest b is resting c are resting
- What _______ these days?
a do you do b you doing c are you doing
- Oh no, it _______ again.
a rain b rains c ’s raining
- Complete the sentences with the right form of the verbs in brackets. Use the present continuous or the present simple.
- My sister __has__ (have) a bath twice a week.
- Joe __________________ (believe) in aliens and UFOs.
- Listen! Ms Gardner __________________ (sing) a new song.
- __________________ your parents always __________________ (leave) so early?
- Jack __________________ (be) a very nice man.
- What’s wrong? Why __________________ (you / look) at me like that?
- Jim __________________ (not like) horror films.
- A: Where’s Sarah?
B: She __________________ upstairs (sleep).
- We can’t go out now, it __________________ (rain).
- Look! __________________ (Susie / wear) the dress you gave her last Christmas?
- Complete the sentences with the right form of the verbs from the box. Use the present continuous or the present simple. There are two verbs too many.
be come develop do enjoy go have know not work ride spend stay try wash
This is Vernon. He 1______comes_______ from Chicago, the Windy City. He 2___________________ most of the day in his office working at the computer. He 3___________________ new software for computer games and is very successful at what he 4___________________. He 5___________________ how important it is to have a break every now and then, so he 6___________________ on a short holiday every three months.
This week he 7___________________. He 8___________________ on holiday in Hawaii. He 9___________________ at his friend’s house. They 10___________________ a fantastic time. Right now, he 11___________________ the blue ocean waves and 12___________________ himself very much.
Read the text and complete the exercise.
“Wonderful memories of our au pair” – from Jenny, a host mum from England
When I went back to work full time, we decided to invite an au pair girl to help us take care of our three-year-old son. After lots of paperwork, emails and several Skype meetings, we chose Anita, a girl from Spain. We wanted to learn more about Spanish culture and we wanted to learn the language too. Anita was very nice. We liked her from the very start.In the beginning she didn’t speak English very well, but she learned really quickly and became very good at it. She lived with us for nine months. She prepared Spanish dishes for us and taught us some Spanish words. Anita took care of our son and helped with the housework. She was really hard-working. She became part of our family. We had fun together and we had interesting conversations about our different cultures. At the weekends, she didn’t have to work. She spent most of her free time travelling around England with other au pairs. We’re still in contact with Anita and one day she’ll visit us again.
“My first time overseas” – from Kate, an au pair from Canada
I’ve been in Salzburg, Austria for three months now. I take care of three little boys aged five to ten. My host mother is amazing and a lot of fun and I like her children. They’re very nice and I love hearing them learn new English phrases, they learn so quickly. They’ll soon speak English better than their mum.
My main tasks are to look after the boys when they come home from school. I prepare snacks for them, play with them, help the oldest one with his homework and do some cleaning, sweeping and washing.
I don’t have to work on Sundays. At the weekends I travel around Europe with some other au pair friends. It’s so easy to get from one country to another. I’ve already been to Germany, Italy, Switzerland and Slovenia. I’m going to Paris next month!
Living with the host family isn’t always easy, but if the next six months are similar to the first three, I know I’ll never regret making the bravest and most exciting decision in my life.
Answer the questions.
- How old was Anita?
- What was Anita’s host mum’s name?
- What nationality was Anita?
- Who did Anita have to look after?
- How long did Anita stay with the host family?
- What’s Kate’s mother tongue?
- What household chores does Kate do?
- What does Kate do at the weekends?
- Where is she going next month?
- Does she like being an au pair?
Complete the sentences. Use a word from the same word family as the word in brackets.
There are a lot of foreigners in Slovenia in the summer months. (foreign)
- __________________ people are open, sociable and talkative. (communicate)
- Most human __________________ is non-verbal. (communicate)
- __________________ development in the mobile phone industry has greatly changed our lives. (technology)
- Wherever you go in the world, you can always find someone who speaks English – it’s an __________________ language. (nation)
- Speaking English well is probably one of the most __________________ skills you can learn. (use)
- New computer programmes aren’t always more __________________ -friendly than old ones. (use)
- Computers are __________________ if you don’t know how to use them. (use)
- __________________ have proved that dark chocolate is actually healthy. (science)
- In their latest research, the students reached the same results using old and new __________________ methods. (science)
- She immediately felt a close __________________ between the two of them. (connect)
- The __________________ between the two men was enormous. (differ)
- Her new haircut was so __________________ from what I expected. (differ)