1 . Complete the text with the right form of the verbs in brackets. Use the past simple or the past continuous.
My little brother Tom is so clumsy. The day before yesterday, he 1 got (get) a pair of rollerblades for his birthday. He 2__________________ (learn) to rollerblade in front of our house. I 3__________________ (turn around) and saw that he 4__________________ (come) pretty fast towards me. I 5__________________ (shout) at him to stop. He couldn’t so he 6__________________ (bump) into me and 7_________________ (crash) into our neighbour’s fence. He 8__________________ (scrape) his knee pretty badly and it 9__________________ (bleed) for some time. But he 10__________________ (not cry) at all.
Then yesterday morning, he 11__________________ (run) round the kitchen when he 12__________________ (hit) his head against the kitchen table and 13__________________ (get) a big bump on his forehead. As if this wasn’t enough, later in the afternoon, when he 14__________________ (climb) a tree in the garden, he 15__________________ (fall) and 16__________________ (sprain) his left wrist. He 17__________________ (not cry) this time either. No matter how clumsy he is, he’s the bravest little kid I know.
2. Complete the text with the right form of the verbs from the box. Use the past simple or the past continuous.
arrive be end up escape hit not wear roll see speed take talk try walk
I 1__was walking__ my dog the other day when I 2____________________ a bizarre accident. A teenager on a motorbike 3____________________ in a 30 kph zone and he 4____________________ a helmet. Suddenly, a ball 5____________________ onto the street in front of him. When he 6____________________ to avoid it, he 7___________________ a lamppost and 8____________________ in an open waste bin. The motorbike 9____________________ badly damaged, but the driver 10____________________ with only a couple of bruises and a terrible smell. A police car 11____________________ at the scene and two police officers 12____________________ to the boy. They 13____________________ him to the police station and confiscated* the motorbike or what was left of it.
*confiscate = zaseči
- Complete the email with the right form of the verbs in brackets. Use the present simple, the present continuous, the past simple or the past continuous.
I 1 am writing (write) to you from a gorgeous place in Greece. I 2__________________ (stay) at a little campsite but I 3__________________ (not know) what it’s called. The lady who owns the place 4__________________ (tell) me the name when I 5__________________ (check in), but it’s so complicated that I 6__________________ (not remember) it anymore.
Nobody here 7__________________ (speak) English very well, which 8__________________ (make) communication quite a challenge. But I must admit they 9__________________ (be) all really nice and friendly.
Earlier today, when I 10__________________ (put up) my tent, a storm 11________________ (start) blowing really hard. Two local boys 12__________________ (offer) to give me a hand and I 13__________________ (be) more than happy to accept their help. Together we 14__________________ (manage) to put up the tent in no time.
Right now, the sun 15__________________ (shine) again and I 16__________________ (sit) at a cafe on the beach and 17__________________ (listen) to the sound of the waves. It’s so peaceful here. Tonight I 18__________________ (meet) the two boys again. They have invited me to a traditional Greek dinner. I’m so excited. This is going to be the best holiday ever.
I’ll be in touch again soon.
Read the text and do the exercise.
by Christine Vrey
On 28 October 2005, three Mexican men set out on a three day shark-fishing trip. After they placed their shark-fishing equipment, they celebrated and prepared for the big catch. The next day, when they returned for their catch, they couldn’t find their expensive equipment. They spent all their fuel looking for it. When they realized they had no fuel left, they were too far away from land to row back.
After four days they had no fresh water and no food left. For three days they didn’t drink or eat anything. On the third day, they were so thirsty that they drank some sea water. But this only made them feel sick.
On the fourth day without water it started raining lightly. They cut the tops off their plastic fuel containers and washed them with sea water. When it started to rain more heavily, they were able to fill four fuel bottles.
Food was not so easy. They only ate twice in November. The first meal they had was a sea turtle that came up for some air. They lifted it out of the water, cut its head off, drank its blood and ate its raw flesh.
They continued to catch turtles and seabirds and with time they were able to catch larger fish. They salted and dried some of their meat to save it for times when they couldn’t fish.
On 9 August 2006, a Taiwanese fishing boat spotted them. They were saved! Sixteen days later, they were back at home, where their town’s people believed their survival to be a miracle.
fishing equipment – ribiška oprema
fuel – gorivo
raw – surovo
row – veslati
Are these sentences true (T) or false (F)? Circle.
- The men started their trip in autumn 2005. T F
- They wanted to catch whales. T F
- They ran out of fuel while they were fishing. T F
- They got fresh water from the rain. T F
- They ate raw turtle. T F
- Fishermen from Taiwan found them. T F
- The men spent one year at sea. T F
- Use the following phrases to complete the sentences.
- do some sightseeing
- go on a city tour
- go on a cruise
- go for a walk
- go backpacking
- buy souvenirs
- take photos/pictures
- go on a journey
- have a barbecue
- Did you have a chance to do some sightseeing while you were in Madrid or was it strictly a business trip?
- Why don’t we ____________________________ in the nearest park? We can feed the little ducklings there.
- Here comes a tour bus. Let’s ____________________________. It’ll take us through the streets of London.
- My aunt always ____________________________ wherever she goes. She’s got a whole room of them and she knows where she got each and every one of them.
- After seeing the documentary on 21st century shipwrecks, I’m not sure I still want to ____________________________. If there’s an emergency, I’ll panic easily.
- I like visiting churches, castles and museums. I always ____________________________ of the sights I see. I’ve already got nine digital photo books.
- Shall we ____________________________ in the garden? You can grill some sausages and I’ll make a salad.
- My brother ____________________________ every summer. He puts on his hiking boots and rucksack and he’s gone for a month at a time. He’s visited almost all of the European countries this way.
- Oh no! We’ve missed the bus and there isn’t another one for four hours. I guess we’ll have to _____________________________.
- Our neighbours are planning to ____________________________ across Russia. They’ll travel on the Trans-Siberian railway from Moscow to Vladivostok.
- Complete the sentences. Use a word from the same word family as the word in brackets.
- The world’s most __poisonous__ snakes live in Australia. I certainly wouldn’t be brave enough to walk barefoot in the bushes. (poison)
- Global ____________________ visit amazing places and learn about other cultures first hand. (travel)
- Yesterday I saw a fantastic ____________________ on TV about growing up in Third World It’s shocking what poor conditions some children live in. (document)
- If you are bitten by a rattle snake, getting immediate medical help is vital for ____________________. (survive)
- It’s been a long day and I’m ____________________. I think I’ll go straight to bed. (exhaust)
- I’m not very ____________________; I don’t like camping or sleeping in a sleeping bag, and I’m terrified of spiders and other insects that keep me awake all night long. (adventure)
- ____________________ usually travel on a small budget, so they often hitchhike and stay at youth hostels. (backpack)
- The ____________________ of penicillin changed the world of medicine. (discover)
- Underline the right expression.
- There was a major train crash in Poland in March 2012. Two passenger trains derailed / made a detour in a head-on collision. There were 16 fatalities / injuries and 58 people were injured.
- Due to strong / heavy fog and a slippery road, 134 cars were involved in a pileup on a motorway in Istanbul in December 2011. 14 people were injured and one died. Many police and ambulance cars and fire engines hurried to the place / scene.
- Concorde was the first supersonic passenger / voyager airliner that regularly flew from London, Heathrow to New York, JFK. It took the plane 2 hours, 2 minutes and 59 seconds from take-up / take-off in New York to touchdown in London. On 25 July 2000, Concorde crashed / collapsed soon after take-off in France, killing all passengers and crew members on deck / on board the flight, and four people on the ground.
- On September 11, 2001 terrorists hijacked / hitchhiked four planes in the USA. They piloted / drove two of them into the Twin Towers in New York. Both towers crashed / collapsed within two hours. Thousands of people died.
- In 2002, an oil tanker / oil carrier sank in the Mediterranean Sea. There was a major oil spill / oil splash that polluted thousands of kilometres of coastline and more than one thousand beaches on the Spanish, French and Portuguese coast.
- Costa Concordia, the largest Italian cruise ship, hit a rock off the coast of Tuscany on 13 January 2012. Due to a blackout, the ship grounded near shore where it capsized / sank onto one side. 32 people were found dead and two were missing. All the others were rescued / solved.