Write a short composition (60–80 words). Use the questions below to help you.
- Why is sport good for you? How often do you exercise?
- What are your plans for this weekend? Are you going to do any sports? (Use going to future.)
- In the future, what do you think sport will be like? Do you think people will still do sport the same way they do now? (Use will)
Read the text and do the exercise.
Have you ever done anything crazy? Did you get an award for it? No? Well, here is something for you – crazy contests.
- Air Guitar Playing
Air Guitar World Championships started in Finland in 1996. In this contest, the participants pretend to play the guitar. There are two rounds. In the first round, the participants choose their own song to play. In the second round, the organizers decide what song the contestant should play. All performers have to play alone. It is important that they play well and improvise well.
- Wife Carrying
Wife-carrying competitions also come from Finland. In this sport, men carry their wives through a special track across sand, grass and water as fast as possible. The women must be at least 17 years old and must weigh at least 49 kilograms. The men can use different techniques. The winning couple get the woman’s weight in beer.
- Pancake racing
On Pancake Day, pancake races are held all over the United Kingdom. The contestants, traditionally women, carry a frying pan and run to the finishing line. During the race they have to toss the pancakes in the air and catch them. If men want to participate, they must dress up as housewives.
- Mobile phone throwing
Mobile phone throwing competitions also started in Finland. In this sport participants throw mobile phones. It is important how far they throw them and how they throw them. The funnier their throw is the higher score they get. The prize for winning the world championship is a new mobile phone. Such events promote the recycling of mobile phones.
- Are these sentences true or false?
|1 In the first competition contestants can play any instrument they like.|
|2 Women who weigh 60 kilograms aren’t allowed to participate in the wife carrying competition.|
|3 During the pancake race women must toss the pancakes and run at the same time.|
|4 The mobile throwing champion gets a new laptop.|
|5 All four competitions first started in Finland.|
|6 Men and women can participate in all for competitions|
- Fill in the gaps with the phrases from the box. champions Championship competition match medallist Olympic gold medal place record holder runner up world record
Rajmond Debevec won the first Olympic gold medal for Slovenia in shooting at the 2000 Sydney Olympics.
- In 2008, Spain won the European Football __________________. Two years later, they also won the World Cup and became world __________________.
- At the 2010 World Cup in South Africa Slovenia lost the __________________against the USA by one goal.
- More than a thousand athletes participated at the regional athletic __________________ this year.
- The difference between the winner and the __________________was only 0.1 second.
- The current __________________in ski flying is 246.5 metres. It was set by Norwegian Johan Remer Evensen at Vikersund in 2011.
- Robert Kranjec, Slovenia’s national __________________, is one of the best ski flying athletes in the world. He won the 2012 World Cup and became Slovenia’s first world champion in ski flying.
- Anže Lanišek, another talented Slovenian ski jumper participated in the Youth Olympic Games when he was only 15. He took the first __________________and became Olympic Champion.
- Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt, a five-time World Champion and four-time Olympic gold __________________ holds the world record in 100 metres with a time of 9.58 seconds.
- Underline the correct phrase.
- Young children learn to swim with the help of mittens / arm-bands/ goggles.
- For professional footballers good football boots / stilettos / sandalsare an essential part of their equipment.
- When it’s foggy, it’s difficult to ski without sunglasses / ski goggles / ski suit.
- Tennis players use a bat / club / racket to hit the ball.
- If you want to play golf, you need a golf trolley for your golf sticks / golf clubs / golf bats.
- In ice hockey, athletes hit the ball / shuttlecock / puck into the opponent’s goal with a stick.
- Only the best archers can shoot an arrow / bow / stick into the centre of the target easily.
- In volleyball, if you touch the net / ball / court during play, the other team gets the serve and the point.
- All racing drivers have to wear crash helmets / glasses / headphones.
- If you want to swim very fast, put on a pair of flip flops / trainers / flippers.